What a ride!!!

For the first time ever, I rode a camel! Last Saturday, several missionaries and I went to the outskirts of Niamey to meet up with our "ships of the desert". Camels are tall! When I first saw them, I have to admit I almost backed down in fear, but I did not want to miss this opportunity. So I took a deep breath and climbed on.....in a skirt no less.
The view looking down, once my hands stopped shaking so I could grab my camera.
The guides took us on a walk into the Sahel Desert. Beautiful scenery! Now for the walk back....
On the way back, we passed through a tent town. I noticed that these tents were given by the International Rotary.
As we rode by homes and villages, the children would wave and call out "bonjour". I have to admit I felt very much like a celebrity. I wish I had thought to bring candy with me. The poverty of Niger can be heartbreaking at times. Children begging in the streets are a common site, I wish I could do so much more to help. 
Back on solid ground! What a ride!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my home......

Welcome to my Kitchen...